Saturday, September 27, 2014

ZTree Plugin and Design

ZTree Plugin



Not sure if people have seen this but it seems to be a pretty cool way to create easy trees in ZBrush. Why I want to bring this up is not only because it is a cool plugin but I want to mention a new class that may show up next year that relates to this. From what I know it will be a class that studies design in nature and how it works. So there will be things such design of trees, aquatic creatures, rocks, etc.. Why I want to mention this is because I believe that it is important for a game artist to actually understand these aspects of design. There is a large difference between using a plugin just to save time to create "good" looking trees and actually designing a tree that may exist in the world.

Reference is something that is used all the time by artists to pertain the realism in their works but I do believe understanding the subject matter is even better. In a real world working situation either way is viable as long as the final product is up to par and meets the requirements. The best example I could come up with is the difference between the more observational figure drawing and constructive figure drawing. It is great if you can draw something in front of you in great detail but what happens when you do not have reference. It is definitely possible to gain that knowledge over time but why not do it right from the get go? My final thoughts is just to say that it is extremely valuable to understand what you are doing rather than just diving straight into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment